Friday, March 31, 2006

Four Needles and Too Many Screams

Yesterday was Carl's four-month check up. It was hell. Living in a big city has its pitfalls - like having a full pediatrian's office full of sick and SCREAMING children. I kid you not, as we made our way down the hall to the examination room, we heard nothing but screams. I guess this explains why the staff was grumpy. If I had to work with screaming people, I'd be unhappy too. However, the pediatrician was excellent. His nurse, on the other hand, was not. Carl needed four shots. With my allergies, I've had quite a few shots throughout my life. I can tell you it's all about the technique. This woman literally jammed the needles into him. He has bruises on his legs. Last time, that didn't happen. He joined the whelm of screaming children and did not stop for hours. Thank goodness for Tylenol!

Carl has been blessed with what I refer to as the "Conaway Curse". My mother's side of the family has insane allergies -- me included. Carl has been officially diagnosed with eczema. The plan is to bathe once each day for 10 minutes. Then we have to apply hydrocortizone followed by a cream moisturizer. We are eliminating all soaps. If that doesn't work, then I'll start eliminating foods from my diet, as breastfed babies can develop eczema from food triggers eaten by mommy. I love a good mystery. :-) The good news is that the eczema is mild and doesn't seem to bother him. What's next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home